Windows 10 in easy steps, 3rd Edition - covers the Windows 10 Creators Update (RRP: £10.99)
Windows 10 in easy steps - Special Edition, 2nd Edition - covers the Windows 10 Creators update (RRP: £16.99)
Buy both books together for only £20.00!
See below for details of each book:
By Nick Vandome
Publication date: August 31st, 2017
About the book
Covers the Creators Update, released April 2017
Windows 10 in easy steps, 3rd Edition provides full-colour and comprehensive coverage of the latest Windows operating system and shows how to get the most out of it, whether you are using a desktop computer or a mobile device. It details the new features and shows how these integrate with the more traditional elements of the operating system. It covers the new features, and includes:
- Upgrading to Windows 10 and personalising it for your needs
- Getting to grips with the Windows 10 interface, navigating with the Start menu, the Start button, and the Taskbar
- Customising the live tiles feature, so that you can create your own look and feel
- Accessing and downloading apps, and how to work with them and organise them
- Working with files and folders, using OneDrive for free storage and sharing files
- Using Cortana, the Personal Digital Assistant, to search your computer or the web, or to perform actions like opening apps or documents
- Getting online with the new browser, Microsoft Edge, and keeping in touch by email and Skype
- Perfecting photos, viewing movies, playing music and games
Windows 10 in easy steps, 3rd Edition also covers the new features in the operating system, which include:
- The Settings app has been updated to include more options.
- There is a new Settings category for Gaming, and there is also a new Game Bar which can be activated when playing games.
- The Start menu has been enhanced, with the option of creating folders on the Start menu so that several items can be stored and accessed within one menu tile.
- Cortana, the Windows 10 personal digital assistant has new voice commands for turning off, sleeping or restarting a PC, and also a greater range of apps now support Cortana.
- The Microsoft Edge web browser has enhanced tabs functions, whereby they can be grouped together and also previewed by moving the cursor over a tab.
- The Share menu has been redesigned to display apps with which certain items can be shared, and this is available from the Share button in a range of apps.
- 3D features prominently in the Windows 10 Creators Update, with a new app, Paint 3D, for creating your own 3D pictures. Other 3D enhancements include being able to upload and view 3D images in the Edge web browser, and 3D models can be used in PowerPoint for transitions between slides.
- Developing the 3D theme further, the Windows 10 Creators Update also includes a number of Mixed Reality (MR) features. Mixed Reality is the combining of the real and virtual worlds to create a unique user experience.
Windows 10 is one of the most significant upgrades in Microsoft's history and Windows 10 in easy steps, 3rd Edition is ideal for newbies and for those wanting to quickly grasp the essentials in the new Creators Update version.
About the author
Nick Vandome is an IT writer and trainer who specialises in digital imaging and web authoring subjects. In addition to his writing, he also works designing websites and runs training courses. Before he started working with computers he wrote books about working and travelling abroad.
By Michael Price
Publication date: June 30th, 2017
About the book
Windows 10 in easy steps - Special Edition, 2nd Edition is a comprehensive, yet concise guide that will walk you through Windows 10 basics so that you're up and running in no time. Then, in easy steps, it'll gently guide you through advanced features to help you venture further and get more from Windows 10.
- Install/upgrade the right Windows 10 release for you
- Master the new interface, desktop and the Start menu
- Learn to use the great new features in the Creators Update, including 3D and mixed reality, game broadcasting, connecting to people faster, and much more
- Find, download and use key apps for work and for fun
- Utilize internet and cloud facilities such as OneDrive
- Enjoy Microsoft Edge, the new innovative web browser
- Take control of your devices and printers
- Save time â€“ use the Search feature and Cortana
- Create and monitor your home network
- Organize and share your files safely
- Keep your Windows 10 working smoothly & efficiently
- Explore Windows Registry, file encryption, PowerShell, and more, all at your own pace
This guide also includes a chapter on troubleshooting so it'll serve as a key reference point for the futureâ€“ a great investment for all Windows 10 users!
Some of the great new features that feature in this second edition of Windows 10 in easy steps - Special Edition are:
- NEW - Paint 3D application to work with and create 3D models
- NEW - My People feature to prioritize sharing
- Edge web browser gets tab previews and blocks Flash by default
- Cortana digital assistant is extended to understand more commands
- Mail app is much improved with better options and performance
- Windows Update gets options to provide more control
- Privacy Settings gets options to provide more control
- PowerShell is now the default shell instead of Command Prompt
- Settings are extended and now favored over Control Panel
- Action Center gets improvements for better control
About the author
Mike McGrath now lives in South-east Europe, on the sun-kissed shores of the Aegean Sea. Mike gained his extensive knowledge of computer languages while working as a developer contracting to companies around the world. His interests include coins of ancient Greece, dining-out with friends, and the ongoing evolution of the world wide web.