A comprehensive guide to Windows 10 – from the basics, to more advanced features and troubleshooting. A great investment for all Windows 10 users!
Covers the Creators Update, released April 2017, with updates to cover the Fall Creators Updates available below.
Publication: June 30th, 2017
ebook (PDF) version also available
View or download first chapter and Table of Contents – FREE!
About the book
Windows 10 in easy steps – Special Edition, 2nd Edition is a comprehensive, yet concise guide that will walk you through Windows 10 basics so that you’re up and running in no time. Then, in easy steps, it’ll gently guide you through advanced features to help you venture further and get more from Windows 10.
- Install/upgrade the right Windows 10 release for you
- Master the new interface, desktop and the Start menu
- Learn to use the great new features in the Creators Update, including 3D and mixed reality, game broadcasting, connecting to people faster, and much more
- Find, download and use key apps for work and for fun
- Utilize internet and cloud facilities such as OneDrive
- Enjoy Microsoft Edge, the new innovative web browser
- Take control of your devices and printers
- Save time – use the Search feature and Cortana
- Create and monitor your home network
- Organize and share your files safely
- Keep your Windows 10 working smoothly & efficiently
- Explore Windows Registry, file encryption, PowerShell, and more, all at your own pace
This guide also includes a chapter on troubleshooting so it’ll serve as a key reference point for the future – a great investment for all Windows 10 users!
Some of the great new features that feature in this second edition of Windows 10 in easy steps – Special Edition are:
- NEW – Paint 3D application to work with and create 3D models:
- NEW – My People feature to prioritize sharing
- Edge web browser gets tab previews and blocks Flash by default
- Cortana digital assistant is extended to understand more commands
- Mail app is much improved with better options and performance
- Windows Update gets options to provide more control
- Privacy Settings gets options to provide more control
- PowerShell is now the default shell instead of Command Prompt
- Settings are extended and now favored over Control Panel
- Action Center gets improvements for better control
Table of Contents:
- Introducing Windows 10
- Choosing your computer
- Installing Windows 10
- The Windows 10 interface
- Windows 10 apps
- Desktop and Taskbar
- Built-in programs
- Windows downloads
- Windows Store
- Search techniques
- Manage files and folders
- Email and messaging
- Microsoft Edge
- Digital images
- Windows games
- Music and sound
- Devices and printers
- Networking Windows
- Control Panel and Mobility Center
- Backup and recovery
- Security and encryption
- Command Prompt
- Update and maintain
- Windows performance
- Windows Registry
- Extending Windows
Following the Fall Creators Update, released 17 October 2017, we have updated the following pages:
Page 120 – Currency converter added to Calculator
Page 206 – Support for Emojis added to Mail
Page 216 – People hub added to taskbar
Pages 231 and 240 – Pin to taskbar option added to Edge
Pages 290, 306 and 406 – Phone and Cortana added to Settings
Pages 246-249 – Creations added to Photos
Page 355 – On-Demand Sync added to File Explorer
About the author
Mike McGrath now lives in South-east Europe, on the sun-kissed shores of the Aegean Sea. Mike gained his extensive knowledge of computer languages while working as a developer contracting to companies around the world. His interests include coins of ancient Greece, dining-out with friends, and the ongoing evolution of the world wide web.
In Easy Steps mousemat – for Smart Windows PC users.
Have all those clever shortcuts to hand while you’re using your Windows PC.
£5.00 (+ VAT where applicable)
Find out more here.
In Easy Steps magnetic bookmark – for Smart Windows PC users.
- The bookmark has high quality magnets that can clip over multiple pages and stay where you last left it!
- Each bookmark has a front and back view, showing handy Windows shortcuts.
Â2.99 (+ VAT where applicable)
Find out more here.